Dr. Jason Wade, Pharmacist
READ Ephesians 5:25-33
What should a husband do if his wife will not follow his leadership?
1) Maintain an attitude of humility. Humbly admit that as a man, you still have much to learn about leading your wife.
2) Acknowledge and confess your own sin. The temptation is to dwell on the sin of your spouse instead of confessing your own.
3) Get in her shoes. Try to think about the situation from your wife’s perspective so you may understand why she is struggling to follow your leadership.
4) Know your Biblical role. A husband should memorize and meditate regularly on Eph 5:25-33 to remind him of his role.
5) Pray regularly for her. Pray often that she would come to know and understand God’s design for marriage and see your desire to lead her Biblically as a good thing.
6) Decide to forgive. A husband needs to prepare that his wife is going to sin against him and he is going to be tempted to retaliate. Instead of retaliating against your wife, you must choose to forgive, just as you have been forgiven (Eph 4:32). This decision will guard against bitterness and allow you to receive your wife graciously, with love.
7) Make God’s glory your highest goal. Learn to be God glorifying, not man centered or wife centered. By doing this, the following occurs:
-You will be less vulnerable to intimidation and manipulation.
-You will be protected from sinful reactions if and when she doesn’t respond appropriately to your care, your service, and your leadership. You can be satisfied with and secure in the knowledge that God is pleased with your motive and obedience, regardless of your wife’s response.
-You will be less likely to seek or demand from your wife what only God can provide. You will be satisfied with God and by His help will seek to simply serve your wife.
Remember this: God created marriage, husbands, and wives. He knows what He’s doing and we can trust Him.
Father, thank You for my wife. Your Word says that a man who finds a wife finds a good thing. Remind me of my role and empower me to empower my wife to fulfill her role. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
What should a husband do if his wife will not follow his leadership? Find out on the @Real_Momentum App