Top 10 Components of a Strong Marriage (Part 2)
Bryan Robertson, Family Pastor/Speaker, www.gracebc.org, www.familywalk.org
READ Ephesians 5
This chapter in Ephesians is great motivation for marriages. It starts out telling us to be an imitator of God. He is our first love. Our marital love stems from our love for God. If we get this right, it’s easier to love our wife and our neighbors. Now, let’s look at the other 5 components in order to have a strong marriage. This is a continuation of the previous devotion taken from my book, Top 10 Components of a Strong Marriage:
6. Communicate Everything. If marital success could be summed up in one word, it would probably be COMMUNICATION. Communicate without arguing or raising your voice. Listen to your wife, study her and find out what makes her tick. Vanilla Ice had it right, “Stop, collaborate and listen.” After you listen, tell them what you heard and ask for clarity if you need to. We must discuss everything with our wives. This is the main way they connect with us. Here’s a list of questions to communicate if you haven’t done so: http://www.markmerrill.com/before-you-say-i-do-premarital-questions/
7. Forgive Each Other. Ephesians 4:32 says, “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.” It’s inevitable, we will fail and disappoint each other because we are human. You might as well learn to practice forgiving – like God does us.
8. Agree On Your Roles. Ephesians 5:22-33 addresses many of these roles but don’t miss what God says in verse 21: submitting to one another in the fear of God. I believe this is the key to marital harmony. There are many times I submit to Kari’s ideas on things because she is very gifted and smart. Husbands are to provide, protect and be the spiritual leader in the home. You do this and your wife will have no problem submitting to your “spiritual” leadership.
9. Tithe And Use HIS Money Wisely. God owns everything including the money you make. Remember, He gave you the ability to earn it in the first place. Tithing is a faith issue. Do we trust God with “our” money? If we tithe, do we trust Him to take care of us? I’ve tithed for more than 20 years and I’ve never missed a meal except while fasting. I’ve always had shelter and clothing. I’ve always paid my bills. And I don’t worry about the future. You can’t out-give God. Tithe and give generously.
10. Intimacy. In-to-me-see. Sexual intimacy is more than the act of sex. It’s being fully known and knowing someone fully. It’s being yourself without fear of rejection, humiliation, accusation or criticism. This is possible when you are complete in Christ (Colossians 2:10) and continually working on your marriage that honors Him. Sex should be enjoyed, communicated and kept solely between you and your wife. This shouldn’t be an issue if you continue to pursue, romance, and speak your wife’s love language.
Father, thank you for my wife. Please help me to implement these 10 components of a strong marriage to honor and glorify YOU.
Our marital love stems from our love for God. If we get this right, it’s easier to love our wife and our neighbors. Get @Real_Momentum App at http://get.theapp.co/6bb7